Drunken Chicken


I saw this recipe on The Next Food Network Star and thought it would be fun to try and I don't think I am brave enough to use beer (even thought it will cook out) so I am going to try sprite lol! This is a fun way to prepare a whole chicken! It even sits up! I have hear you can grill this as well!

Smoky BBQ Rub:
1 cup kosher salt
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1 cup smoked paprika
1/2 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon dried rosemary (crushed slightly with spice mill)
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1/2 cup granulated garlic

You don't use the whole amount on the one chicken, give it a good coat of rub and bottle up the rest to keep refrigerated/frozen for probably up to six months.
Then take the beer (I'm pretty certain any beer would do, he used Old Chubb) and pour half in the roasting pan. Add some garlic cloves, rosemary and about a tablespoon of rub to the beer IN the can.

Situate the bird on top of the can and transfer to the roasting pan. Tuck the wings so they are behind the bird and put on the lowest rack in your oven.

Cook like you would any other roaster at 350 ' for probably about 1 & 1/2 - 2 hours depending on the size.

If you buy a one with a pop-up timer, that should make it easy. Let me know when and if you try this! It might take me a while to get to it!

Comments

I make this all summer. They now sell a beer can holder so you don't have to worry about the chicken tipping over. Use the beer it makes the juiciest bird!