This is a great late night snack to make for the family. Trust me, your kids and hubby will love it! My Dad used to make this all of the time. MMmmm Mmmm! There was nothing more exciting than when my Dad would fire up the oil and start cutting up the potatoes for this delightful golden treat!
- Preheat your oil to 350* - 360* (I don't measure the temp, but for those who need a number... there you go) I usually just eyeball it.
- Cut up as many potatoes as you want into french fries. You can use a knife, a mandolin, or there is even a kitchen tool designed specifically for french fries.
- Often times homemade fries can be a little soggy so I like to lightly coat the raw french fries in a little flour. I think it adds some nice crispiness.
- Place floured fries in hot oil in small batches. Maybe a couple of handfuls at a time. This will help to keep the oil temperature hot so they will cook nicely and end up nice and crispy.
- You will know that the fries are done when they begin to float to the surface of the oil and then become golden brown.
- Remove from the oil and place on paper towels to drain off the oil. Don't forget to salt the fries immediately while the salt will still stick.
I like to dip my fries in just plain old ketchup. Sometimes I will mix up a little BBQ sauce and mayo.